How to Throw a DIY Thomas & Friends Birthday Party
All aboard! These easy birthday party ideas will help everyone have a splendid day
With printable invites, a super-easy Thomas birthday cake, and more fun DIY ideas this Thomas & Friends birthday party will steam into action.
Download these playful train ticket invitations and print at home or at a local print shop and invite guests to board the birthday express!
"All Aboard for Fun" Cake
To make this easy cake, start with two boxes of cake mix and five containers of white frosting. Bake the cakes in 12” square pans. Once cooled, frost between the layers and around the outside of the cake to create a smooth base layer. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Next, tint two containers of icing blue and frost the outside of the cake. Use the last container of white icing and a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip to pipe large white steam clouds along the base.
Then break chocolate wafer candies into even pieces for the tracks and add strips of red taffy candy for the rails. Download the train track topper, attach to straws, and you're done!
Coal & Steam Snack
To make these sweet “coal” cookies served with “steam” (a.k.a milk), you'll need
• 1/2 cups flour
• 1-1/4 cups dark chocolate cocoa powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 cup butter, room temperature
• 1 cup sugar
• 3/4 cup brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1-1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, and eggs. Beat with a mixer until well combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Use a small cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop rounded balls of dough (approximately 2 tbsp each) onto the prepared pans. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes and let cool. (Download the tent cards here.)
“Chew Chew” Utensil Rolls
DIY Train Cars
Start with a few small unfinished wooden boxes (available at craft stores), wooden wheels, craft paint, and hot glue. Paint the wood boxes in bright colors. Paint the wheels. Once everything is dry, hot glue the wheels to the corners of the box, then fill with goodies!
Tip: If your wood boxes have open slats at the bottom, cut a small piece of black card stock to cover any gaps before filling.
Railroad Sign Centerpiece
DIY signs are a great way to add railroad-inspired fun to your table.
- Paint the wooden circles and dowels silver and let dry.
- Insert painted wooden dowels into plastic frame bases and twist to secure.
- Print and cut out the railroad signs.
- Glue the circle shaped signs to wood circles (one side only), and criss-cross the “Railroad Crossing” pieces to form an X. Hot glue the finished pieces to the tops of the sign poles.
Give each guest an engineer hat when they come in. Customize the hats ahead of time with printable, steam engine number party circles. You’ll need a 2” craft punch to cut out the circles from the template, then use hot glue or a 3D adhesive glue dot to secure them to the hats. (Download the Check-In Station sign here.)
Thomas & Friends Banner
This printable banner is party-ready with Thomas and his steam team friends! Print and cut the panels out, then use a small hole punch on the top corners of each panel. Thread the banner using twine.
Train Track Favor Bags
To make these cute goody bags, you’ll need:
- Using a craft knife, ruler, and cutting mat, cut strips of the woodgrain tape to create “planks” for the wooden track.
- Stick 5 of the planks onto a gift bag in a vertical row.
- Cut thin strips from the silver duct tape, about 1/4” thick and a little longer than the length of the 5 planks. Place these on top to create rails for the track.
- Fill with treats!
Mega Bloks Thomas Build & Go